Being a teacher...

If a year ago somebody would have told me, that I would be a teacher, I would sincerely laugh at a good joke. But, as good folk proverb says "never say never"...

And here I am, in Mozambique, in rural area, in teachers training college, where, not planned and unexpectedly, I have to transform myself to teacher of Oficios (En - Crafts, Lt - Darbai, Rus - Труд) and Educação Visual (En - Visual Education, Lt - Dailė, Rus - изобразительное искуство). Oh, I wish I could be better teacher, who knows its subject very well and who does not need to spend hours searching through books in Portuguese trying to understand what is Cestaria, what is the difference between Moldagem and Modelagem, and what should the students know about agriculture...

I am not the best teacher that these students can have, but let me tell you the secret and let me do it with certain confidence, - I am for sure better teacher than they would have if not me.

To be a teacher is a big challenge. To be a teacher here is even bigger challenge and responsibility. I am not doing my best, but at least I am trying to be a good example.

Together with my students making investigation about basketry

Students making investigation about pottery

Francisco is making basket

Milton is trying to make something out of clay

Comments

Anonymous said…
Tai Tave Die Boserup mokykloje išmokė krepšius pinti? Ar pynimo išmokai dar Lietuvoje?
Robertas
Eugenija said…
Ne, Robertai, pynimo cia mokemes, pas vietinius amatininkus
Coleman said…
I bet you are a fine teacher and you know what they say, "practice makes perfect." Inspiring your students, I've found, is the best way to get them to enjoy it and keep them interested.
Good for you!
Eugenija said…
Coleman, papa!

Thanks for advice! Maybe you can share even a little bit more - how to get them inspired???

Sweaty greetings!
Coleman said…
It is difficult because each student is so different, but generally I would say I have the most success when I am energetic and passionate about what I'm talking about. It's fucking hard to stay that way for a whole class sometimes, but students I think can sense it and will focus on you more.
Also,I've found that routine and being consistent especially for really young ones are a great way to maintain control and usually leads to a productive lesson, but keeping it interesting and also trying to relate with them on some level also causes students to pay attention and learn something.
It is not black and white though, every kid is so different so there is a lot of improvising, which I enjoy. That way you can kind of bring the lesson to them from different angles and see what seems to sticks in their minds the best.
Damn...... I ramble to much!

Popular Posts